Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Food and the Rhythm of Live..............

What is it about certain kinds of cooking and baking that feeds my soul? There is an earthy sensuality to the rhythmic kneading of the smooth, supple bread dough. The aroma fills the kitchen and I pull the loaves out of the oven to see, with pleasure, the "oven spring" and the crust color.

This past few days have been involved in several food related activities. Besides baking bread, I cut herbs from my herb garden and picked zucchini and tomatoes. I also roasted a chicken.

I was happy, with the advent of cooler days, to be able to use my oven again. It was with pleasure, I snipped the rosemary, basil and thyme to fill the chicken cavity I raised the skin on the breast and lovingly slipped still more herbs under it. The rosemary, still on its stem, looked so pretty. I baked it in my cast iron dutch oven, at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and an additional 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.

Happiness and contentment come in all forms, this indeed is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment