Thursday, August 26, 2010

Things your mother never taught you (and some they did).............

Did you know why directions on cake mix boxes say to reduce the temperature of your oven 25 degrees if using a glass pan? I was so proud of myself when I realized the reason a few months ago (slow learner, lol). Glass is a better conductor of heat then most of the materials that pans are made of. You don't want to burn your cake, do you?

Measure your oil before you measure honey in same cup and the honey will pour out easily. Alternatively, spray some Pam or other cooking spray in the cup before you measure honey.

Rolling stacked spinach into a tube then making small cuts is an easier way to chop spinach.

Never cut homemade bread until it cools at least 15 minutes and preferably 30 minutes. The slices will be gummy if you do.

My mother taught me that there were 16 tablespoons in a cup and the easy way to measure shortening was with a spoon, ie 1/4 cup is 4 tablespoons, 1/3 cup is 5 and a bit more.

Some flatware sets have spoons that are exactly a teaspoon or tablespoon and easier to measure with (check the measurement against your measuring spoon to be sure).

An 8 cup coffeepot doesn't hold 8 measuring cups. The cup size they are referring to is a 6 oz teacup, those were the standard years ago. (makes you think, doesn't it)

If your homemade cake came out tough, it is probably because you overbeat it and developed the gluten in the flour.

I'm sure once I publish this post, I will think of more. What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment